Halloween is traditionally a holiday filled with candy, sweets, and goodies. When celebrating, it is easy to want to include your pet in the festivities. But don’t do that unless you have considered Halloween pet safety tips.
Make sure to steer clear of these Halloween treat dangers:
Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to pets. Different types of chocolates contain different amounts of this compound. The most dangerous variety of chocolate is baking chocolate, followed by semi-sweet, dark, then milk chocolate. Flavored baked goods are usually lowest in theobromine concentration. At lower doses theobromine can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and hyperactivity. At high doses it can lead to tremors, seizures, and an irregular heartbeat which can lead to death.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is becoming more and more commonly found in candies, gums, and baked goods. When pets ingest this compound it causes a rapid drop in blood sugar that can be fatal if not treated.
While most people would never intentionally share their punch with their pet, unattended glasses may be tempting for some curious critters. Pay attention when alcohol is around during Halloween celebrations.
Raisins and grapes
Raisins and grapes can cause sudden kidney failure in some dogs. While not all dogs will be affected, it is impossible to know if your pooch will be one of the unlucky ones. Keep those boxes of raisins and peeled grape eyeballs out of your dog’s reach.
In general it is safest to not to share your Halloween goodies with your pets. Be sure to help children put their candy away and let them know how dangerous it is to offer your family pets part of their Halloween spoils. Likewise, discourage them from stashing their candy in hiding places that a keen nose might find. Halloween is a fun time of year. Please pay attention so that your pets have a happy Halloween as well.