Are you thinking of a new puppy to join the family? What joy and love they can bring, but there are things you need to know. Today we will look at a checklist for your new puppy! We will share with you some new puppy tips and help you pick a puppy name!
So don’t panic, we know it can be a lot to bring a new puppy home. However, that’s why you are here, right, for answers. Let us guide you and give you the peace of mind you deserve. Let us take some of the stress away with our checklist for your new puppy!
Firstly, let’s share some new puppy tips with you.
New Puppy Tips
Let’s share with you some tried and tested new puppy tips that are sure to get you off on the right foot.
First, make boundaries clear from the start. We know they are super small and super cute, but if you start to let bad behaviors slip, it will be much harder to correct as they get older. In addition to setting boundaries, define mealtime, and don’t weaver. This will save you a lot of heartache in the future as well as keep your pup in great shape. Feeding them at the same time every day will help build a routine for both you and your new puppy.
Secondly, we suggest starting an exercise regime to keep your new puppy’s weight in check as well as a healthy heart. It will also help burn some of that puppy energy that will be sure to amaze you. We recommend 10 minutes of exercise per month of age, do this twice daily and you will see a difference. Regular exercise also helps keep your new puppy from getting into mischief inside the home.
Next, we strongly recommend that you socialize your new puppy early, having the ability to build relationships with other dogs is essential. And don’t forget to enjoy the puppy stage, soak it all in, it doesn’t last long.
Let’s break it down:
- Boundaries are important from the start.
- Set a meal schedule and stick to it.
- Exercise is super important.
- Train your new puppy from the start.
- Socialize your puppy from the start.
- Enjoy these times, they don’t last long.
Checklist For New Puppy
It might seem a tad overwhelming at first when you think of everything that a new puppy could need or use. However, keep in mind it’s not all necessary, all they really need is just an abundance of love and patience. However, we have put together a checklist for your new puppy to help you prepare for their arrival.
- A puppy crate is always a great idea for any new puppy. The crate helps give you peace of mind when you leave the house. It also provides a safe space for your new puppy to go enjoy some quiet time. We suggest using a soft dog bed inside the crate for added support and comfort.
- Baby gates are another great item to help keep your pup in one safe space. This is a great idea for potty training (easy to clean flooring). Don’t forget the puppy pads, Amazon makes some amazing puppy pads.
- Puppy- proof your home. This could mean anything from removing easily accessible cleaning supplies, medications, and food. Investing in a tall, sturdy garbage bin will not only save your puppy’s tummy but keep down on the extra cleaning for you.
- Toys of his own. Try to avoid giving your new puppy old shoes or household items. From the start define what he or she is allowed to chew on (and they will chew) that’s why it’s best to only give items designed for puppies. That way you won’t come home to your favorite heels all chewed up, or the couch pillows all torn to shreds.
- Glass, stainless steel, or ceramic food and water bowls. We strongly suggest you don’t use plastic, a lot of dogs can have a severe allergy to the chemicals found in plastic dishes. Raised dished can help with digestion.
- A collar, leash, and harness. We want your new puppy to stay safe on walks and while playing. If your puppy gets out by mistake you want others to know where his home is and get him back to you as fast as possible.
- Let’s not forget the vet visit. As soon as possible get that puppy to the vet and get him checked out. Build that relationship from the start. Your vet will help you pick out the best food for your new puppy and set a vaccination and checkup schedule.
The most important item on the checklist for a new puppy is to be prepared to love that little guy with all your heart. They have a way of entering our hearts and holding on.
We know it can be hard to pick a name for your new puppy. Picking a name that suits your puppy as well as fits your family can be difficult but we think our list of puppy girl names and puppy boy names will help you narrow your search. Or you can do what one reader did with her family, have everyone put their puppy name choice in a hat and have grandpa pick, that could be house Zeus here got his name!
Puppy Names Girl:
Puppy Names Boy:
From What’s Best For YOUR Pet we want to be the first to congratulate you on your NEW PUPPY! We hope our checklist for your new puppy has helped put your mind at ease and prepared you for your new family member.
Best Dog Beds Of 2020
Best Pet Ramps To Get Your Pup Moving
Top Items From Amazons Pet Subscriptions
What’s The Best Pet Camera For Your Pet?